EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR, Salt Lake City Public Library, Salt Lake City, Utah. September 2016 – Present. As Executive Director of the Salt Lake City Public Library, an urban library system comprised of a 240 thousand square foot downtown flagship location and seven busy community branches, I am responsible for financial management, identifying and implementing operational efficiencies, and evaluating library programs and processes. Responsibilities also include maintaining productive intergovernmental and community relations, strategic planning, promoting team-building, creating positive employee relations, planning and budgeting for all operational needs, and implementation of appropriate technologies in a public library environment.
ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR FOR PUBLIC SERVICES, Salt Lake County Library Services, West Jordan, Utah. March 2014 – September, 2016. Participate on the executive management team of an eighteen branch system, guiding the overall management of the library system by providing input in the areas of planning, staffing, program development, building remodels, budgeting, and total library operation. Directly supervise eighteen branch and department managers including hiring, promoting, orienting, training, assigning work, and reviewing performance. Coach and train employees in order to foster cooperation, performance, productivity, and job satisfaction. Collaborate in planning and implementation of long-range goals for the library. Foster a customer-focused environment based in the principles of human-centered design and user experience (UX) and promote awareness of trends that affect the emerging needs of both individuals and communities of patrons. Ensure the provision of high quality public services to the broad range of diverse library customers.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS, EveryLibrary, January 2014 – Present. Serve on Board of Directors for EveryLibrary, a nonpartisan, nonprofit, social welfare organization chartered to work on local library ballot initiatives. Consult with local ballot committees and PAC leaders in support of local library ballot measures. Train and coach ballot committees in effective Get Out the Vote (GOTV) strategies. Lead and train library staff and leadership on effective “information only” campaigns, and provide guidance on specific state legislative measures which impact libraries’ ability to act as districts. Advocate for specific library initiatives among the voting public. Provide hand-on social media campaign management.
EXECUTIVE COACH, 2006 – Present. I was trained as a professional coach by the Past President of the New Jersey Professional Coaches Association through a grant made possible by the Institute of Museum and Library Services through the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA.) I provide life and executive coaching, both formally and informally, helping clients gain clarity on what they want, develop a plan, and get into positive action to create desired results. I have successfully coached many professionals who have moved on to more fulfilling positions in their careers, and have received honors and recognitions including Library Journal Mover Shaker and ALA Emerging Leader. If you are interested in creating a coaching relationship, or learning more about coaching, please see my coaching page. If you are interested in receiving a little “just in time” coaching here and there, feel free to contact me anytime.
ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR, Princeton Public Library, Princeton, New Jersey. August, 2010 – October, 2013. Oversaw all aspects of the library including coordination of services to children, teens, and adults, programming, and information technology. Set and modeled standards and coached staff to efficiently provide exceptional customer service during a period of flat revenues and increased use. Participated in the preparation, justification, and administration of the library’s operating and capital budgets. Acted on behalf of the library director in her absence representing the library in public relations situations, liaison relationships, and at public events. Appeared before the municipal governing council at meetings and hearings on matters pertaining to the library. Collaborated with human resources manager to interview and screen prospective employees, and make recommendations to the director on the employment, development, discipline, and discharge of employees. Worked with our Director of Development, Friends Council, and Foundation Board to develop and grow new external sources of funding. Developed a new team-based organizational model built on collaboration, trust, and individual empowerment. Provided guidance and leadership to department managers and team leaders. Participated in organizational strategic planning, and planning for building modifications, remodeling, and other physical improvements to our facility. Developed excellent working relationships with local businesses and organizations. Elected to serve on executive board of the local merchants association.
ASSISTANT DIRECTOR, South Jersey Regional Library Cooperative (SJRLC), Gibbsboro, New Jersey. June 2006- July 2010. Developed and provided continuing education opportunities for library staff at over 600 member libraries. Promoted the development of professional communities and sharing of professional knowledge and best practices through effective blended use of websites, blogs, wikis, listservs and chat. Worked with Advocacy team to market and advocate for South Jersey Library services through attendance and presentations at a variety of business and community events including the South Jersey Business Expo. Oversaw managing and marketing of QandANJ.org, New Jersey’s collaborative 24/7 virtual reference service. Worked with Executive Director to develop and manage a variety of regional and statewide, projects focusing on transformative library services, including, QandANJ.org, “Trading Spaces” , Wireless Connectivity in South Jersey Libraries, Audiobooks Consortium, and “Get a Library Card Online”.
PROGRAM DEVELOPMENT COORDINATOR, South Jersey Regional Library Cooperative (SJRLC), Gibbsboro, New Jersey. June 2001- June 2006. Coordinated and scheduled technology classes and library skills workshops for staff of over six hundred member libraries. Conducted staff training needs assessments. Provided training on reference skills, Internet, and union catalog. Developed and maintained organization website (www.sjrlc.org.) Wrote SJRLC newsletter and promotional materials and coordinate distribution to members. Integral in creating and managing the statewide “QandANJ” virtual reference project. Provided network and technical support for office network. Worked collaboratively with New Jersey State Library on a variety of ad hoc committees, including Gates Training Grant, Database Selection Committee, and the September Project.
HEAD OF REFERENCE SERVICES, Camden County Library, Voorhees, New Jersey. June 1997- June 2001. Head of Reference, Periodicals and Interlibrary Loan services. Supervised a staff of fifteen professionals and eleven support staff, ensuring quality reference service to all patrons. Developed a strong, customer service oriented reference team, bringing in technology to improve skills and streamline workflow, delivering service on two busy public service desks. Oversaw customer education training program that provided Internet classes to over one thousand patrons per year. Developed and taught various information literacy Internet classes. Oversaw all content and design of library website. Secured and managed statewide grant to provide second level backup reference service to every library in New Jersey through toll-free number, email and fax, staffed 72 hours/week.
NETWORKED INFORMATION MANAGER / USER TRAINING COORDINATOR, Garcia Consulting, Inc. at Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Region II Library, New York, New York. September 1996-June 1997. Provided a full range of Library service to approximately nine hundred EPA staff members. Also provided direct service to the public, including many students and faculty from Pace University Law school conducting environmental and legal research. Managed the EPA Law Library and acted as library liaison to EPA attorneys. Maintained EPA Library webpage. Responsibilities also included reference service, interlibrary loans, collection development, copy cataloging on OCLC, and management of reference statistics. Supervised one part-time library associate.
REFERENCE/TEEN LIBRARIAN, Spokane County Library District, Spokane, Washington. February 1993 – May 1996. Reference Librarian, Teen Librarian, and Page Supervisor in busy resource library. Provided reference service to County population of approximately two hundred thousand. Conducted internet and online search trainings. Performed collection development. Supervised, trained, evaluated, and scheduled Library Pages.
SALES ASSOCIATE, Nordstrom, Spokane, WA. October 1988 – June 1989; July 1992-April, 1993. Provided outstanding customer service across multiple departments. Recognized for a perfect score in telephone customer service as a result of corporate “secret shopping” exercise. (I was one out of three people, among over 200 secretly shopped nationwide to receive a perfect score.) Was one of two employees selected to have private lunch with Blake Nordstrom (current President of Nordstrom), to provide feedback and suggestions for improving staff and customer experience.
- Oklahoma Library Association, OLA Gold Library Leadership Institute, Oklahoma Library Association, Ardmore, OK, Nov 2-4, 2016.
- Navigating Crucible Moments: Lessons in Leadership. Presented on how to be an effective influencer. Online. April 27, 2016.
- Lead the Change Leadership Academy, Know Yourself, Grow Yourself, Be Yourself. Opening Keynote Speaker. Online. April 22, 2015. Click for archived presentation.
- Oklahoma Library Association, OLA Gold Library Leadership Institute, Oklahoma Library Association, Ardmore, OK, Nov 6-8, 2013. Co-designed and co-facilitated a leadership institute for 24 participants. The institute included six weeks of online content and participation and three days of face-to-face experiential learning.
- ALA Emerging Leaders Task Force Member/Facilitator, 2006 – 2011. Worked to plan and implement the American Library Association Emerging Leaders program. Developed and presented content on working together effectively in a virtual team. Chaired the Emerging Leaders planning committee 2009-2011.
- Co-Organizer, Pres4lib2009: Presentation Camp for Library Speakers and Trainers: Organized one day unconference workshop for library speakers and trainers. In addition to open space discussions, the day included scheduled lightning talks, a “battledecks” demo, and a robust remote attendee experience that included multiple live video streams and an active twitter discussion (all archived on the wiki at: http://pres4lib.pbworks.com.)
- Mentor, Maryland Library Leadership Institute, Mentor to 21 participants of Maryland’s week-long Library Leadership Institute led by John Shannon and Becky Schreiber. October 28-November 2, 2007.
- Mentor, ALA Emerging Leaders, Mentor to group of five Emerging Leaders charged with developing a plan for offering free/cheap online training as an ALA member benefit January 2006 – July 2007.
- Co-Coordinator, New Jersey Train-the-Trainer. March 2001 – June 2005. Coordinated the annual, four-day Train-the-Trainer workshop in conjunction with co-coordinator, Joanne Roukens. Oversaw all elements leading to the delivery of a four-day workshop, including revising lessons, recruiting a team of trainers from pool of past graduates, assigning training responsibilities, and overseeing the production of print materials, program marketing, and registration. In addition, participated as trainer and curriculum developer 1999-2005.
- Facilitator, NJLA Emerging Leaders, Facilitated group discussion for emerging leader cohort. April 4, 2002.
- F3: Fine Free Future. Symposium on the Future of Libraries, American Library Association Midwinter Conference. Denver, CO, February 10, 2018.
- Surviving and Thriving in a Deeply Weird World. United for Libraries Institute: Friends, Foundations, and Trustees, American Library Association Midwinter Conference. Denver, CO, February 9, 2018.
- Getting Into Action: Coaching for Optimal Performance. Interactive workshop for Colorado State Library and Colorado Library Consortium (CLIC). Denver, CO, February 8, 2018.
- Surviving and Thriving in a Deeply Weird World. Keynote for Utah Library Association Fall Workshop, Park City, UT, September 29, 2017.
- How to Activate Voters and Constituents for Funding Support, Association for Small and Rural Libraries (ARSL), Annual Conference, St. George, UT, September 6, 2017. Co-Presenter with John Chrastka, EveryLibrary Executive Director and Crystal Shimpf, Kixal Founder and Consultant. This workshop explores two frames for activating people: the librarian as a candidate and the library as a cause. EveryLibrary and Kixal teach you short, actionable messaging techniques to update perceptions, and provide insights for how to convene and empower stakeholders around your message. Walk away with a set of tools, tips, strategies, and exercises to help your library to get the funding you need.
- OLA Gold Library Leadership Institute, Oklahoma Library Association, Ardmore, OK, Nov 2-4, 2016. Co-designed and co-facilitated a leadership institute for 24 participants. The institute included seven weeks of online content and participation and three days of face-to-face experiential learning.
- Mindful Leadership Through Emotional Intelligence. Ohio Private Academic Libraries (OPAL) Conference, New Concord, OH. August 5, 2016.
- Yes, And… Using Improv to Develop 21st Century Leadership Skills. Ohio Private Academic Libraries (OPAL) Conference, New Concord, OH. August 5, 2016.
- Expect More Collaboratory Workshop. American Library Association Annual Conference. Engaging in community conversations to promote the brand and value of librarians. Orlando, Florida. June, 27, 2016.
- Designing and Facilitating Learning Experiences That Make a Difference: The Power of Active Experiential Learning. Preconference. American Library Association Annual Conference. Orlando, Florida. June 24, 2016.
- Emotionally Intelligent Leadership. Breakout session at the Utah State Manager’s Conference. Salt Lake City, UT. May 26, 2016.
- Navigating Crucible Moments: Lessons in Leadership. Presented on how to be an effective influencer. Online. April 27, 2016.
- Keller Public Library Staff Day. Presented on the Power of Storytelling and Customer Journey Mapping. Keller, TX, April 1, 2016.
- Strikethrough: Utah Library Association “Failure Conference”. Organizer and facilitator. Salt Lake City, February 19-20, 2016.
- Unlocking the 21st Century. Access Services Conference Keynote. Atlanta, GA, November 12, 2015.
- The Happiness Advantage. Interactive Presentation, Utah Library Association, Youth Services Round Table Fall Workshop, Ogden, Utah. September 18, 2015.
- Yes, And… Using improv to develop 21st century leadership and teamwork skills. Utah Library Association Annual Conference. St. George, Utah. May 14, 2015.
- Library Outreach & Collaboration: An effective model for community engagement. Featured preconference at Utah Library Association Annual Conference. St. George, Utah. May 13, 2015.
- Know Yourself, Grow Yourself, Be Yourself. Lead the Change Leadership Academy Opening Keynote Speaker. Online. April 22, 2015. Click for archived presentation.
- Expect More Speaker Series, Texas Library Association. Featured panelist along with R. David Lankes, Cheryl Gould, Lori Ayre, and Gretchen Freeman. April 14, 2014.
- Leading with Positive Emotional Intelligence. ILeadUSA Utah 2015, Salt Lake City, UT. March 24, 2015.
- Influence When You Have No Power or Authority. Webinar for Utah State Library. February 24, 2015.
- Idaho Commission for Libraries Staff Development Day. Facilitator, Boise, ID. January 15, 2015.
- Lead the Change: Community Engagement. Co-Facilitator, Salt Lake City, UT. Oct 7, 2014.
- Lead the Change: Community Engagement. Guest Speaker, Denver, Colorado. August 28, 2014.
- Emotionally Intelligent Influence: Mindful Choices, Meaningful Results. Virtual Keynote webinar for the New Jersey Library Association. April 10, 2014.
- If You Can Make it Here. Keynote, Mount Laurel Library Staff Day, Mount Laurel, NJ, November 14, 2013.
- OLA Gold Library Leadership Institute. Oklahoma Library Association, Ardmore, OK, Nov 6-8, 2013.
- Purposeful Influence. Keynote at 5th Annual Connecticut Leadership Institute, Connecticut Library Association, Hartford, CT, August 9, 2013.
- Conversations on Leadership. Conversation Starter at the American Library Association Conference, Chicago, IL, June 30, 2013.
- Lead the Change. Guest Speaker, Philadelphia, PA, May 23, 2013.
- The Very Heart of It: The timeless, nourishing value of libraries. Keynote at Urban Libraries Unite (ULU) Conference. Brooklyn, NY, April 5, 2013.
- Influence When You Have No Power or Authority. Keynote at University of Rhode Island GSLIS Conference. Kingston, Rhode Island, March 23, 2013.
- FrameChanges: How to Be Effective. Keynote at Indiana Federation of Libraries Annual Conference. Indianapolis, IN, November 14, 2012.
- The Future of Libraries. Keynote at the Gloucester County Library Staff Development Day. Maplewood, NJ. October 5, 2012.
- Nurturing Leadership at the Library. Keynote at the Library Management Institute (LMI) Summer Conference. Fort Washington, PA, July, 9, 2012.
- Strategic Plan Visioning Facilitation. Designed and led a visioning activity for staff and stakeholders of Maplewood Memorial Library to begin their strategic planning process. Maplewood, NJ. May 30, 2012.
- The Future of Libraries. Keynote at the Maplewood Memorial Staff Development Day. Maplewood, NJ. May 30, 2012.
- Get in the Loop: Customer Service Round Table. Co-designed and facilitated customer service workshop for the Princeton Merchant’s Association. May 22, 2012.
- Now what? 12 steps to thriving in a different world. Public Library Association Conference, Philadelphia, PA. March 15, 2012.
- The Future of Virtual Reference. Rutgers University School of Information Colloquium, New Brunswick, NJ. December 7, 2011.
- The Future of Libraries. Keynote at the Somerset County Library Staff Development Day Keynote. Bridgewater, NJ. November 8, 2011.
- Library Leadership v Library Management. Keynote for Leadership and Management Section Luncheon, New York Library Association (NYLA) Conference, Saratoga Springs, NY. November 4, 2011.
- Profiles in Leadership. Moderator. NYLA Conference, Saratoga Springs, NY. November 4, 2011.
- Pulling Back the Curtain on Virtual Reference: Moderator, ALA Annual Conference, New Orleans, LA, June 27, 2011
- ALA Emerging Leaders: Facilitator. ALA Annual Conference, New Orleans, LA. June, 2011.
- Conversation with Peter Bromberg. Allen County Public Library Conversation Series. March 17, 2011.
- ALA Emerging Leaders: Facilitator. ALA Midwinter Conference, San Diego, CA. January 7, 2011.
- TEDx and Libraries: A Partnership for Community Engagement: Presented with Janie Hermann and John LeMasney. Pennsylvania Library Association Conference, Lancaster, PA, October 27, 2010.
- NJLA Adult Services Forum: Keynote. Manalapan, NJ, October 18, 2010
- ACPL Library Camp: Keynote: Creating Engaging Customer Experiences. Fort Wayne, Indiana, September 23, 2010.
- ACPL Library Camp: Personal Effectiveness. Fort Wayne, Indiana, September 23, 2010.
- RUSA President’s Program: For the Love of Reference: ALA Annual Conference, Washington DC, June 28, 2010. (video coming soon)
- ALA Emerging Leaders: Facilitator. ALA Annual Conference, Washington DC, June 25, 2010.
- TEDxNJLibraries: Co-organizer of first TEDx Libraries event. Curator of Merrick Rosenberg’ talk “Co-Creating Culture: Step Up to Accountability“.
- Great Teen Spaces You Could Have Right Now: Moderator: NJLA Conference program, Long Branch, NJ, April 27, 2010.
- What’s Your Style? 9 Paths to Personal and Professional Development: Full day preconference on the Enneagram for Maryland Library Association, Ocean City, Maryland, April 21, 2010.
- Mail It? It’s In the Bag: Books and More, Netflix Style: Moderator. Gloucester County Library, Gibbstown, NJ, March 16, 2010.
- Keynote Address: Experience the Future: Mount Laurel Library and Willingboro Public Library joint staff day. Mount Laurel Library, Nov 11, 2009.
- Strategic Direction Facilitation: Facilitated discussion between management teams of Mount Laurel and Willingboro libraries on strategic directions for the future. Mount Laurel Library, Nov 11, 2009.
- Working Together Effectively: Full day workshop on Team Building and Effective Meetings for Super Library Supervisors, Series II. Old Bridge Public Library, October 29, 2009.
- Presentation Tips. ALA Conference. Presentation at Membership Pavilion on behalf of the Learning Round Table. Chicago, IL, July 13, 2009.
- Moving into Action. Facilitation for the ALA Emerging Leaders Salon. Chicago, IL, July 11, 2009.
- Assessing the Emerging Leaders Project Experience. Facilitation for the ALA Emerging Leaders Program. Chicago, IL, July 10, 2009.
- Understanding Change. Burlington County Library, June 18, 2009.
- Pres4lib2009: Presentation Camp for Library Speakers and Trainers: (Co-Organizer) Organized one day unconference workshop for library speakers and trainers. In addition to open space discussions, the day included scheduled lightning talks, a “battledecks” demo, and a robust remote attendee experience that included multiple live video streams and an active twitter discussion (all archived on the wiki at: http://pres4lib.pbworks.com.)
- What do a leaky roof, a greasy spoon, a bear sighting, and a man with a tortoise in his pants all have in common? Watch this lightening talk and find out… (AKA “Tips for Effective Presentations”). Pres4lib Presentation Camp (co-organizer), June 12, 2009, Princeton Public Library. Slides and Video.
- Listen to Maurice Coleman’s comments on my talk during his podcast, “T is for Training”
- Leading Change. A webinar for Colorado Association of Libraries Leadership Institute, May 21, 2009.
- Mail It? It’s in the Bag! Books and More, Netflix Style, NJLA Annual Conference. Moderated panel discussion of SJRLC’s “Books by Mail” pilot project. April 28, 2009.
- The Value of Leadership, the Leadership of Value. Remaining relevant in times of change,
Alice Rankin Distinguished Lecture, Special Library Association, NJ Chapter, April 23, 2009.
- Resource Sharing in New Jersey. Guest Lecture at Rowan University. April 21, 2009.
- The Value of Leadership, the Leadership of Value. Remaining relevant in times of change for NJLA Emerging Leaders. April 20, 2009.
- How to be Effective. Presentation for New Jersey Train the Trainer. on March 18, 2009.
- Making the Most of Bad Times: “Getting the Word Out” Co-organized and co-Presented this SJRLC program with Karen Hyman and Brett Bonfield on March 3, 2009. | Wiki |
- Working Together Virtually: ALA Annual Conference. A presentation to the ALA Emerging Leaders on how to effectively work as a virtual team. January 23, 2009.
- Cool Tools for Cool Living. Salem County Librarians, October 31, 2008. slides | wiki
- Cool Tools for Cool Living. Brigantine Public Schools, “Schools of the Future” Conference, October 24, 2008. slides | wiki
- Working Together Effectively: Along with Karen Avenick, developed and presented full day workshop on Team Building and Effective Meetings for Super Library Supervisors, Series II. Rahway Public Library, September 18, 2008.
- Introduction to the Enneagram: A brief introduction to the Enneagram personality theory, given to the SJRLC Board, September, 11, 2008.
- Magical Mystery Tour, Co-presented with the bloggers of Library Garden. Aug 22, 2008 (Princeton Public Library), Aug 30, 2008 (Cherry Hill Public Library) and Oct 11, 2008 (Parsippany Troy Hills Public Library.) (http://librarygarden.pbwiki.com)
- Library 2.0 Social Networking. A Pecha Kucha Skeptic’s response at the NJLA FutureTech for Libraries Symposium, June 13, 2008.
- Pecha Kucha. Skeptics response for Pecha Kucha at Princeton Public Library’s Tuesday Technology Talk, June 3, 2008. | video | script | slides |
- Change Management. Guest Lecture for Rutgers University SCILS 17: 610: 570 Managing Libraries and Information Centers, April 2, 2008.
- Engage your users, and your librarians, too!, PLA Conference (QuestionPoint Panel), March 28, 2008.
- Cool Tools for Cool Living, (Co-presented with Janie Hermann), Burlington County Library (NJ) Staff Day, October 19, 2007. (http://burlco.pbwiki.com)
- Making it up as We Go Along, An Introduction To Improv, Teen workshop presented for Camden County Library Teen Read Week, Oct 15, 16, 17, 2007.
- Team Building, Along with Karen Avenick, developed and presented full day workshop on Team Building for Super Library Supervisor, Series II. Presented on September 19, 2007.
- Funding, Sustainability and Managing Growth. Colorado Collaborative Virtual Reference Symposium, July 31, 2007. (http://www.qandanj.org/colorado)
- What in the World is Web 2.0?, Princeton Public Library Tech Talk, September 5, 2006. (http://ppltechtalk.pbwiki.com)
- How Do They Do It All? Tips from Effective Library Leaders. New Jersey Library Association Annual Conference, April 25, 2006.
- QandANJ: New Jersey’s Cooperative Virtual Reference Service. Tri-state College Library Cooperative Spring Program, April 19, 2006.
- QandANJ.org table talk. NJ State Library Trustee Institute, September 30, 2005.
- AM NOT (ARE TOO!). (Communication and conflict resolution workshop), Burlington County Library Staff Development Day, September 16, 2005.
- Goal Setting, C0-developed and presented full day workshop on Goal Setting for Super Library Supervisor, Series III. Presented on September 15, 2005 and September 14, 2004.
- Collaborative Staffing Models and Sustained Participation. Colorado Virtual Reference Symposium, July 13, 2005.
- Yours Mine and Ours: Quality of Service in Cooperative Virtual Reference. ALA Annual Conference, June, 26, 2005.
- Ensuring Ready Reference Success: Reference Skills for Paraprofessionals. NJALA Conference, June 7, 2005.
- Creating a community of Library Instructors: New Jersey’s Train-the-Trainer. ALA Annual Conference, June 27, 2004.
- Virtual Reference Realities: Current Research and Customer Feedback, PLA Conference, February 26, 2004.
- I’m Just Ecstatic About the Whole Darned Thing: Customer Feedback and Lessons Learned. Virtual Reference Desk Conference, November 17, 2003.
- Introduction to QandANJ.org, Infolink Regional Library Cooperative Tech Day, May 16, 2003; Highlands Regional Library Cooperative Ace Day, May 14, 2003.
- New Jersey’s 24/7 Virtual Reference Service. New Jersey Education Association 2002, November 7, 2002.
- The Care and Feeding of a Statewide Virtual Reference Project. Colorado Collaborative Virtual Reference Symposium, July 11, 2002.
- Real-time Virtual Reference. Medical Library Association, Philadelphia Chapter Meeting, January 10, 2002.
- Celebrating the Past, Embracing the Future: Values and Variations in Contemporary Reference and User Services. Organizer and Featured panelist. RUSA President’s Program, ALA Annual Conference, June, 18, 2001.
- Virtual Reference Desk Conference 2001, “New Jersey Reference Goes Live: Virtual Management of a Statewide Virtual Reference Project”, November 12, 2001.
- Streamlining & Reorganization, Management & Technical Scenarios, Part I Management Scenarios. Featured Panelist. New Jersey Library Association Annual Conference, May 1, 2001.
- Live Reference Online: Planning, Learning, and Doing It. New Jersey Library Association Annual Conference, April 30, 2001.
- Statewide Reference Services in New Jersey. New Jersey Educational Media Association Fall Conference, October 25, 2000.
- Consumer Health Information resources on the Internet. Medical Library Association (NJ Chapter), September, 2000.
- Can’t We Ever Cancel Anything? Resource Tradeoffs in an Electronic Environment, Speaker/organizer for SJRLC program, September 1998.
- Reference Service in an Electronic Environment. DRA User’s Group Conference, August, 1998.
- Internet Issues in the Public Library. CAMNET Conference, May 1, 1998.
- Communicating with your Customers, EPA Library Network Conference, Washington, D.C. February 1997.
- The Internet: How to get on, how to get going, without all those boring details, North Idaho Library Conference, October 10, 1995.
- Building Support for your Library Budget: A Recipe for Success. The Political Libarian, Volume. 3, Issue. 1, Article 5.
- Influence is a Choice: Chapter in Crucible Moments: Inspiring Library Leadership. Mission Bell Media. January, 2016.
- Curious Kind: My personal blog exploring librarianship, influence, emotional intelligence, training, and other topics of the day.
- Library Garden (librarygarden.net): Created, managed, and co-authored a highly subscribed library blog (a top 20 library blog in 2007). Recruited bloggers, led blogging team in collaborative development of editorial guidelines. (See selected Library Garden pieces here.)
- ALA Learning (AKA CEBuzz): Created, managed, co-authored, and edited learning blog for the ALA Learning Round Table. Created editorial standards. Recruited authors. June, 2007 – 2011. (Link is to archived version of the blog. Or see re-posts here: http://www.peterbromberg.com/category/alalearning-blog-post.)
- Pres4Lib 2009: A Camp Recap: in The LearningExchange: The Newsletter of the Learning Round Table of ALA, September, 2009 (Vol 26, No. 1).
- Speaking of Toastmasters: in The CLENExchange: The Newsletter of the Continuing Library Education Network and Exchange Round Table of ALA. March, 2009 (Vol 25, No. 2).
- The Power of Customer Comments: in the NJLA Reference Section Newsletter, October, 2008.
- Cover Story: “Library As Place“, in New Jersey Libraries Newsletter. Fall, 2006.
- Cover Story: “A Marketing Plan for Virtual Reference“, in MLS: Marketing Library Services, vol. 17, no. 5, September/October 2003, pp. 1-3.
- Feature Story: “Managing a Statewide Virtual Reference Service: How QandANJ Works“, in Computers in Libraries, vol. 23, no. 4, April 2003, pp. 26-31.
- Feature Story: “Statewide Supplemental Reference Service: New Jersey’s Model for Backup Reference Service”, in Public Libraries, vol. 10, no. 4, July/August 2001, pp. 235-239.
- Director, Board of EveryLibrary, January 2014 – Present.
- Member at Large, Utah Library Association Board, June 2015- June 2016
- Utah Library Association, Member, March 2014 – Present.
- Chair, RUSA President’s 2015 Program Planning Committee. July, 2014 -July, 2015.
- Member, ALA 2015 Nominating Committee. July, 2014 – June, 2015.
- Chair, New Jersey Library Association Virtual Reference Task Force II. Jan-April, 2012. Chaired working group of librarians to develop a recommendation for the NJLA Executive Board on a viable model for resurrecting a statewide virtual reference service in New Jersey.
- Chair/Facilitator, ALA Emerging Leaders Task Force , 2006 – 2011. Worked to plan and implement the American Library Association Emerging Leaders program. Developed and facilitated content on working together effectively in a virtual team. Chaired the Emerging Leaders planning committee 2009-2011.
- Member, The New Jersey Library Association Virtual Reference Task Force, June, 2011 – December, 2011.
- Speaker, RUSA President’s Program: For the Love of Reference: ALA Annual Conference, Washington DC, June 28, 2010.
- Board Member, The Learning Round Table of ALA (LearnRT), July 2002-June 2003. Secretary, July 2003-June 2006. Webmaster, and Electronics Publications Chair: July 2003 – July 2009. Blogmaster and Wikimaster, July 2006-July 2009. Membership Chair, July 2006-July 2009. Led team in creation of LearnRT’s wiki and blog, ALALearning.
- ALA Lyman-Sage Scholarship Committee, Jurist, December, 2008 – June, 2009.
- Chair, NJLA Professional Development Committee, July 2005-June 2006. Vice-Chair, July 2004 – June 2005.
- President, SJRLC Toastmasters Chapter, Area 14, Division D, District 38. President, 2005, 2007, 2009. Vice-President, 2006, 2008, 2010.
- Organizers and Featured Panelist, Celebrating the Past, Embracing the Future: Values and Variations in Contemporary Reference and User Services. RUSA President’s Program, ALA Annual Conference, June, 18, 2001.
- American Library Association, Member, July, 1997- Present.
- New Jersey Library Association, Member, July 1997 – June, 2014.
- New Jersey Association of School Librarians, Member, July 2001-June 2010.
- Library Journal Mover/Shaker. Named to Library Journal’s annual “Movers and Shakers” list as a “Community Builder” and “Transformer” June, 2008.
- Maryland Library Leadership Institute, Mentor. Mentor to 21 participants of Maryland’s week-long Library Leadership Institute. October 28 – November 2, 2007.
- ALA Emerging Leaders, Mentor. Mentored group of five Emerging Leaders charged with developing a plan for offering free/cheap online training as an ALA member benefit January 2006 – July 2007.
- New Jersey Academy of Library Leadership. April-September, 2004. Successfully completed New Jersey’s Academy of Library Leadership.
- Snowbird Leadership Institute. Selected to attend three-day planning workshop to evaluate the Snowbird Leadership Institute and plan for future Institutes. Other selected attendees included Nancy Kranich, past ALA President; Nancy Tessman, Director (retired), Salt Lake City Public Library; Warren Horton, former Director-General of the National Library of Australia; and Martin Gomez, Director, Brooklyn Public Library. July 2002
- Snowbird Leadership Institute. Successfully completed nationally recognized week-long library leadership institute. July 1998.
- Outstanding Employee Award Recipient. 1995, Spokane County Library District, September 1995.
- Rutgers School of Communication, Information and Library Studies, New Brunswick, NJ.
M.L.S. GPA: 3.96/4.0. May 1992. Conover-Whitol Scholarship: Recipient for 1991-1992 academic year.
- Rutgers College, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ.
B.A. : Political Science; Philosophy minor. Criminology Certificate. GPA: 3.3/4.0. May 1988.